Sometimes, there is no need to go shopping for herbal remedies; you probably already have plenty of these “health treasures” in your cupboards.
Let’s see some common herbal remedies:
- Garlic is the world’s number 1 anti-biotic, with no side effects; bacteria do not become resistant to it.
- Garlic is a non-sedating anti-histamine.
- Garlic is an anticoagulant, lowers a too high blood pressure and raises one to low. Beneficial in thrombosis and arteriosclerosis.
- Garlic is useful in bronchitis, asthma, cough, whooping-cough, sinusitis and as preventative of influenza and colds. Take two capsules every night to prevent colds and flu.
- Garlic stimulates bile for digestion of fats, so is very useful in gallbladder’s disorders.
- Garlic has anti-tumour properties.
- Chewed parsley may mask the odour of garlic on the breath.
Onion is hypoglycaemic, antibiotic, anticoagulant, expectorant, hypotensive, anti-bacterial, anti-sclerotic, anti-inflammatory and diuretic, as it shares some of the properties of garlic.
Dill can be used for insomnia and also in infant’s colic and bad breath.
- Fennel may be an effective diuretic and a potential drug for treatment of hypertension.
- Fennel can be used as a safe and effective herbal drug for primary dysmenorrhoea.
- Fennel’s infusion is the best remedy for intestinal discomfort, like gas and bloating and for this fennel is widely employed as a carminative.
- Fennel can be used to make infusion to treat babies with colic.
- Ancient Romans regarded fennel as the herb of sight. Root extracts were often used in tonics to clear cloudy eyes. Extracts of fennel seed have been shown in animal studies to have a potential use in the treatment of glaucoma.
- Oregano, with its anti-oxidant and anti-microbial activity, other than an important culinary herb, may be also helpful to treat some ailments. In fact, Hippocrates used oregano as an antiseptic, as well as a cure for stomach and respiratory ailments. Cretan oregano (Oreganus dictamnus) is still used today in Greece as a palliative cure for sore throat.
- Oregano, together with sage, balm, thyme and rosemary, may be very useful in herpes.
- High in anti-oxidants, cinnamon can be used as an anti-oxidant supplement. Use it daily on cereals, creams, cakes, etc.
- Cinnamon is anti-diabetic, as it boosts insulin activity, which turns to be beneficial to the pancreas; so you can use it as a drug for high blood sugar.
- Cinnamon is anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, antiseptic and anti-worm.
- Cinnamon is a good digestive aid, as it is stimulant astringent to the stomach. It is useful in weak digestion, feeble appetite, vomiting, hyper-acidity, to promote secretion of gastric juices, in irritable bowel, in summer diarrhoea.
- Cinnamon promotes good oral health and is useful for colds and influenza, as it is a warming remedy for cold conditions; just boil some water in a saucepan, take it off the stove, add cinnamon to the water and breathe in the steam.
- Cloves act as mild local anaesthetic for aching teeth and are fantastic as breath fresheners.
- Cloves have powerful antiseptic properties, anti-histaminic and mild antispasmodic and can be useful in asthma, bronchitis, pleurisy and lung conditions. Add cloves to the boiled water, for pain relief and for its anti-biotic, anti-septic and anti-fungal effects.
- Nutmeg may be useful in case of disorders related to the nervous and digestive systems.
- It is also may exert antimicrobial activity against streptococcus mutants (commonly found in the oral human cavity and is a significant contributor to tooth decay).
Curry powder can be used in emergencies like electric shock, epileptic seizures, heart attack and traumatic shock.
Carminative, anti-spasmodic (can be used for abdominal spasms), stimulant, aphrodisiac, diuretic, emmenagogue.
ANTIQUE APOTHECARY® Herbalists do not diagnose disease, but we work with herbs and nutritional healing to support health and to improve your life’s quality.
All the information presented herein by ANTIQUE APOTHECARY® is intended for educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent diseases.
©ANTIQUE APOTHECARY LTD 2013-2017. All rights reserved.